As for Atlanta, I'm big on them right now. I've jumped on the band-wagon, and I'm drinking the cool aid. I'd like to begin by highlighting what they do right, but seeing as they're doing so much right at the moment, I think it would be quicker to highlight the few things they need to change if I'm calling them a serious Superbowl contender:
1) 3rd downs. It's simple: they have far too many of them. And whilst they may lead the league in 3rd down conversions, and are ridiculously great at scoring on drives with a stupid amount of 3rd downs, it simply can't stand up in the long run. Sure, in a game of football, you have four downs, and three of them are fine to use, but I need to start seeing them gaining more than four yards on their first two downs. Every time, it's either two runs for two yards each, or an incomplete pass and a four yard run... ...followed by a magical ten yard pass on third down... Fine if it works, but I see absolutely no logic or reason as to why they're not converting on first or second, yet they are on third. Fine if it works, but they seem incapable of a scoring drive that doesn't involve at least two third and longs. Even on the final game-winning drive last night with 50 seconds left!
2) They have to put the ball in the hands of Michael Turner and Jason Snelling more often. Matt Ryan was 22 for 28 last night ...at half time! Joe Theismann joked "for me, that was a game!" Fine, it's a passing game these days, and the game is arguably better for it, but he's in his third year - he's not Manning yet. He's bloody awesome, and one of the best in the league at the moment, they can't afford to burn him out half way through the season.
That's all. Both teams are contenders for the top five. Both WILL make the playoffs. And like I said before the game, the fact that Atlanta have proved themselves is a minor win for the Bucs seeing as we came from within a 4th and 1 from beating them last Sunday.
Welcome to my blog, with news and views on all topics around the NFL, and a special focus on my Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
Saturday, November 13, 2010
Ravens 21 Atlanta 26
In the mid-season power rankings, I had originally omitted Atlanta from the top five, but that has now been rectified. They may have only beaten the Ravens by five points last night, but they outmatched them on all cylinders. I'm still yet to be proven wrong about Joe Flacco: he's mediocre when it matters; and last night he was lucky to escape with only one interception to his name. Anquan Boldin helped him out a lot, especially with the touchdown catch, which was arguably under-thrown. Ray Rice is something special however, and he's one of the reasons why they have to be considered as a Superbowl contender. He's quick, he's reliable, and with the exception of when they rush him for the third time in a row (which usually results in a 'no gain'), he usually averages a good four or five yards. The Ravens are solid on defense too. But all in all, they're so much like the Jets: quality team, slightly above average quarterback. Maybe I'll be proven wrong, but right now, I can't see either Flacco or Sanchez hoisting the Lombardi come February.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment